Friday, March 25, 2011

CATCHING GALAHS IN TOTTENHAM

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

There was a big gum tree on a friend's property and a pair of galahs were nesting in a big old dead branch.

We waited til the chicks were fairly mature and Rex and I went out in his new work utility (Rex was an electrician).  We put the extension lader up in the back of the landrover and I climbed up with a chainsaw to enlarge the nest hole so I could get my hand in.

As I started to cut, the branch suddenly snapped and fell fair on top of Rex's Ute's cabin, pushing it down in the centre to bonnet level.

We never got those chicks who were further in the tree.  We came home with our backs and necks bent down under the smashed roof to the amusement of the Tottenham population.

No comments:

Post a Comment