Monday, November 29, 2010

A Little Victory!! Use of the Tottenham Police Car

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - -

When we were transferred from Parkes to Tottenham it was 1963 I think.  Superintendent Crowley told me to not worry about a private car as I could use the Police car as I was always on call.

In time Supt Crowley (a great bloke) had his place taken by another bloke.

We used to drive in the Police car each fortnight to Parkes to shop for our groceries.

On day the new cranky boss caught me in Clorinda Street Parkes, in the Police Car and questioned me as to what I was doing.

The next week a memo came out that this practice was to cease forthwhith.

It was the custom when the Super came out to the out station for his 3 month Inspections that the wife of the Police Officer would supply lunch.  Sally (my wife) always supplied a baked dinner.

The next time the Super came out it came to lunchtime and I offered no invitation.  The Super eventually realised he wasn't getting one and Sally mentioned we were pretty much very low on food.

He and his driver had to go over the road to Carl Caras's cafe where they had a pretty dreadful meal.

The next week a memo came out permitting our Station Police to come into Parkes (100 miles) to do the shopping!

A little victory!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment