Tuesday, November 30, 2010

recollections about Tottenham: magpies, chooks and goats

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - - - -

Getting back to the local wildlife, there was a magpie at Tottenham called Wicky, and it belonged to Bert Turner.  It was a great talker.  I had complaints of a magpie attacking kids in the Park next to the Police Station and as I was the local Police Officer, it was my job in those days to shoot the bird, unfortunately, it turned out to be Wicky, who Bert lfet out of his cage for a fly around town every day - I was unpopular for a while!

- - - - -

We had a lovely Police Yard at Tottenham.  I planted trees which I guess would be huge now, River Red Gums.  I got hold of a sulky and kept it on the lawn, more like a patch in the middle of the yard.

We had a poultry run with a baby wild goat and chooks, guinea fowl and peacocks at Tottenham.  I got 6 guinea fowl from a property and took them home and put them in the chookyard, but they all flew away and spent the next night with half the population of the town recapturing them from the tops of trees where they were roosting.  After being confined in the chookyard and caged for a few days, they were okay and stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment