Monday, November 29, 2010

recollections of Katoomba: coppers, gas stoves and old friends

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - - -


  • Saturday mornings I had to cut wood and get the copper boiling for my Mum to do the washing.  I was always in a hurry to get away with my mates and Mum wouldn't let me go til the whole surface of the copper was bubbling.  There were no washing machines back then.  During this time, Mum's mother, Nin, (Zillah) came to live across the road.  We had a gas stove and in those days gas was piped to the houses from the Katoomba gas works which have since been demolished.

  • I had a good mate - Ian Smith who had a Dalmation called 'Rheema'  He was a terrific cricketer and footballer and was killed on a motorbike just after he left school, he had a job at the Port Kembla Steel Works.  His parents were pommies and had the 'Bluebird Arts and Crafts' in Katoomba Street.  He was in the class ahead of me.  He used to win all my marbles off me.

No comments:

Post a Comment