Monday, November 29, 2010

Steaming Poo

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - - -

It was 'round 1982.  I was the boss of Kingsliff Police Station when I received word that a garage had been help up down south and that the offenders were in a certain car heading north.

Took off for the scene in the Police wagon but prior to getting there, got word by radio that the offender's car had turned over on a bush road and that they had decamped into the scrub.

By the time I arrived on the scene, there were four or five Police cars there already, with all the Police standing around on the road near the overturned stolen car.  No sign of the offenders.

I decided to have a look in the paddock nearby for signs of the direction of the fugitives and about a hundred yards away under a large gum tree found fresh steaming human faeces with some used newspaper and thought I was in luck...

I called out 'this way fellows, there is a big pile of....'.

I looked down to the officers some who were bent over, others leaning on their cards, but they wouldn't come.

I went back to the group and after some difficult conversation because they were laughing so much, eventually discovered that the culprit was one of our own - my own lockup keeper.

that's how i got the nickname 'Tracker'...

1 comment:

  1. I remember that morning well.It was extremely hellarious. John could not work out what all the humour was about. But when you gotta go, you have to go. The good old days.

    ReplyDelete