Monday, November 29, 2010

recollections of Katoomba: tv, tripe & hepatitis

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - - -


  • TV came when we were at Katoomba (about 1956) and I remember big crowds watching TV through the windows of the electrical stores at night.

  • Dad was in terrible pain one night and was taken to hospital and had an operation on his stomach.  Scar tissue had blocked off his bowel.  Apparently when he was a boy, he was jucking around and a girl stuck the end of an umbrella into his stomach near his navel where the scar tissue was.  He spent a few days in hospital.  When recovering Jack was starving and his first meal - TRIPE!  Dad used to shudder when telling the story and had a few more days without eating!!

  • In my last year at school (1957) I went camping with mates down the Megalong Valley over Easter where I caught a really bad dose of hepatitis.  I was really sick, vomiting, etc.., and could hardly move.  I spent 6 weeks flat on my back.. I recall Mum took me for my first game of golf and I collapsed on the course and said 'Mum I can't go any further...' When I went back to school, Mr Eric Johnston the headmaster told Mum and Dad that I had no chance of passing the Leaving Certificate and to  repeat the year, anyway I ended up passing it with flying colours!! I completed the Leaving Certificate in 1957 and got 5B's - an average pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment