Monday, November 29, 2010

recollections of Katoomba: golf swings and flying saucers

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - - -


  • In my last year at school, Dad got transferred to Kandos and I stayed on with Nin (my grandmother) to finish the year.  While in Nin's house at Katoomba, I was supposed to be studying but instead, I was practising my golf swing in the bedroom and smashed her beautiful chandelier light on my follow-through (big trouble!!) 
  • I was in the CEBS for several years (Church of England Boys Society) with Neil Elphick - it was like the Scouts and we wore a blue uniform with airforce type caps.  We were coming home one night when we saw a flying saucer.  It was only a couple of hundred feet high and it was circular with red and green lights revolving 'round its edge.  Many others also saw it and it was in the Sydney papers - headlines - and the next night it was seen again by hundreds of people and they sent up airforce planes from Richmond to check it out but they couldn't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment