Monday, November 29, 2010

recollections of Katoomba: cricket mates

* a collection of stories and memories, in no particular order, from the life and times of John Clarke, who served as a policeman in the Australian Police Force, a great practical joker, he also had a great affinity with people and wildlife, was a champion swimmer, snooker player, loved golf, still loves fishing and is also an artist. I hope you enjoy his recollections - cheers, karin (his daughter)

- - - -

I had a couple of special friends at Katoomba, Don Craig and his dog 'Jip'.  The dog used to be my special mate and used to go on long rambles iwth me.  Michael Moreland, his brother Rob and sisters Diane (who was a fair bit older) and Kerry and Neil Elphick who I still see when he visits the Tweed.

Michael Moreland lived in a duplex and the owner lived in the other side.  He was a drunken monster and hated us kids.  We were playing cricket in the street one day using this man's steel garbage bin as a wicket when he came home in his old truck and he tried to run us down in the street and smashed into his own garbage bin!! We scattered in all directions.

Another time, Micael and I made 'toffee' in his mother's best saucepans.  His parents knew me as "The Wrecker' after that

No comments:

Post a Comment